Fatwa No : 83552
Fatwa Date : Ramadan 28, 1422 / 15-12-2001
1-What is bahai faith? Are they Muslims?
2-I am a Muslim. Can I marry a woman of bahai faith?
Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.
Bahai is a movement that appeared in 1260 Muslim year (about 150 years ago). It was founded by Mirza Ali Mohamed Rida Al Shirazi who was raised in some innovative movements. He first dealt in trade. At the age of 17, he resumed studying and occupied himself with Sufi and other misleading books. In 1259 (Muslim Year) he went to Baghdad and learned the ideas and opinions of Kazem Al Rashti. During that time, he met a Russian spy by the name of Kinazd Gorki who claimed to be Muslim and named himself Isa Al Nakrani. This Russian spy started spreading rumors that Mirza Ali was the Mahdi and the Bab (door) to the divine truth and that he will appear after the death of Al Rashti. In fact, Gorki found that Mirza Ali was the right person to use in order to disunite Muslims.
On Thursday Jumadaa Al Akhir (6th month of Muslim year) 1260 Mirza declared that he was the “door that leads to reality” and that he was a prophet just like Musa, Isa and Muhammad (Alaihim al-Salaam). He even claimed that he had a higher rank than these Prophets. Then Rashti’s students believed in him.
Later, he was arrested (1261 Muslim year) and he declared his repentance on the Mimbar (the place in the mosque where the Imam stands when delivering Friday speech) of Al Wakil’s mosque after having caused much destruction and turned many people from the right creed.
Later, in 1266, however, Mirza Ali, now known as Al Bab (the door) claimed that he had incarnated bodily as “The Lordness” (the attribute of a god).
When the Muslim scholars discussed the issue with him, he again repented. But this time, they did not believe him as he was known to be coward and to run from confrontation. So, he was sentenced to death and killed. Among the most famous personalities of the Bahai movement, is Qurrat Al Ain and her real name was Um Salma who was born in 1231 (Muslim year) in Quzween and took her knowledge from Al Mulla Mohammed Saleh Al Quzweeni (a shiite). Then she claimed the Islamic Sharia has been abrogated.
Here are some of the most important ideas and beliefs of Bahai movement:
1. They believe that Al Bab (the door) is the one who created everything with his word and that he is the principle from which all things stem.
2. They believe in reincarnation and transmigration of souls and that reward and punishment are only for souls but in an imaginary way.
3. They agree with the Christians and Jews who believe that Jesus was crucified.
4. They deny the Prophets’ miracles as well as the reality of Angels and Jinns. They also deny the existence of Paradise and Hell.
5. They forbid Hijab for women and make lawful Mutaa (temporary marriage) and for them women and properties are for common use.
6. They claim that Al Bab religion nullifies the religion of Muhammad.
7. Their Qibla (where they face when praying) is Al Bahja in Akka in Palestine, not Al Haram mosque.
We conclude from the above that this group has nothing to do with Islam. So, it is forbidden to marry with them.
Allah knows best.